Summer can get chaotic with a relaxed schedule full of vacations and taking the kids to and from sporting events and summer camps. Stuffed Zucchini Boats make for a healthy, inexpensive and quick dinner that the entire family will enjoy.
3 medium zucchini from Redbud Farm, Certified Organic
Sausage from Fickle Creek Farm
1 onion from Barking Dog Farm
salt and pepper
Fresh herbs from In Good Heart Farm (basil is our favorite)
2 gloves of garlic, minced from Doge Farm
1.5 cups diced fresh tomatoes from Color Fields Farm
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded from Hillsborough Cheese Co.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to hollow it out, set aside the flesh, leaving 1/4 of the flesh. Place into a large baking dish, cut side down.
3. Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside leaving the drippings in the pan.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, zucchini flesh, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs to the skillet. Cook until the onions are soft, about 7 minutes.
5. Fill the zucchini with the meat mixture and top with the shredded cheese. Bake in the preheated oven fro 30 minutes.
*Notes: I like my zucchini tender crisp, which is how it will turn out with the preparation. If you like a softer zucchini, boil the zucchini for 1-2 minutes before scooping out the flesh, then continue with the recipe as written.