Even though it is July, comfort food always hits the spot. This is a delicious casserole that one of our volunteers created using primarily market ingredients. It has a ton of flavor, a little bit of a kick and will surely be a hit!
1 pound of ground beef from Fickle Creek Farm
1 medium-large onion, diced from Barking Dog Farm
1 teaspoon of salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
6-8 poblano peppers from Ronnie Moore Farm
1.5 cups shredded mozzarella from Hillsborough Cheese Company
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup milk
4 eggs from Cane Creek Farm
Optional: Hot pepper sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly grease a 7×13 baking dish.
2. Mix ground beef and onions with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground peppers
3. Using a skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef/onion mixture.
4. Place half of the halved or diced poblano peppers in prepared baking dish.
5. Top peppers with cheese, then top with ground beef/onion mixture.
6. Add flour to the mixing bowl, then gradually whisk in milk until completely combined without lumps. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, eggs and hot sauce/chili powder, if using. Beat until smooth.
7. Pour egg mixture over beef and pepper mixture.
8. Bake for 45-50 minutes (until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean). Note: If you need this dish to be ready earlier, decrease the amount of egg mixture, since this is the part that needs to be fully cooked.
9. Casserole may be served over rice, with tortillas, etc.
Option: To make this a one-pot meal, use an oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven to brown the beef and onions, add diced peppers to the mix, then top with cheese and egg mixture. Bake as previously written.