Try this yummy dip by Michelle Stewart of the Meredith College Nutrition and Wellness Association! It’s full of market greens and herbs for fresh flavor without the added fat and sodium of store bought dips. Try a sample at market and pick up the ingredients to make it just in time for Superbowl Sunday!
3 cloves minced garlic
1 medium minced onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
16 ounces fresh market spinach
1 cup low fat (or fat free) cottage cheese
Fresh herbs (basil, dill, thyme, etc.) (Embrace market fresh herbs!)
2 cups plain Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon season salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Diced tomato and chives for garnish
1. Cook garlic and onion in pan with olive oil over medium heat until caramelized. Stir occasionally to prevent burning and sticking.
2. Turn heat to low and add fresh spinach just until wilted.
3. Cool spinach and chop finely.
4. In a blender or food processor blend cottage cheese and herbs until smooth.
5. Place mixture in large bowl and mix in spinach, yogurt, paprika, salt, pepper, and remainder of ingredients.
6. Garnish with tomato and chives. Chill and serve with fresh vegetables or pita chips.